It looks like new UFC featherweight champion, Conor McGregor, will not confirm his next opponent anytime soon. But even though there’s no final plan whether he will indeed go against Rafael dos Anjos, McGregor shared his thoughts about the possible MMA fight anyway.
McGregor posted a message on Facebook last Friday, saying that his next bout would most likely be the same as the other ones he had in the past.
Here’s what posted on his Facebook account:
1.Rolling Stone, thank you for putting me as one of your top 25 sex symbols of 2015! My Mother will be delighted and proud!
2. ESPN, FOX, BT Sports, MMA Fighting, Yahoo, MMA Junkie and Sherdog thank you all for awarding me fighter of the year 2015! I appreciate all the hardworking media and their love and commitment to the sport is truly valued.
3. Fighters Only MMA Awards, thank you for the nominations for Fighter of the Year, KO of the Year, International Fighter of the year. I will be in Las Vegas to attend the event and collect all my awards.
4. Floyd Mayweather, don’t ever bring race into my success again. I am an Irishman. My people have been oppressed our entire existence. And still very much are. I understand the feeling of prejudice. It is a feeling that is deep in my blood. In my family’s long history of warfare there was a time where just having the name ‘McGregor’ was punishable by death. Do not ever put me in a bracket like this again. If you want we can organise a fight no problem. I will give you a fair 80/20 split purse in my favour seen as your last fight bombed at every area of revenue. At 27 years of age I now hold the key to this game. The game answers to me now.
5. Media instigators/An Garda Siochana. I apologise for having the air-soft in public. I was simply rehearsing for a potential upcoming film role. I understand that the more traffic a story can get the more revenue it generates. So I understand and respect that the media must create these stories and these situations even if at times it is at other people’s expense. We’ve all got to eat. And I eat well. So I will not complain.
6. My next fight. What can I say, it’s just another night of easy work for me. I don’t just own the game. I run it too.”
Much to everyone’s surprise, McGregor will be moving up the MMA weight division and go against Rafael dos Anjos this coming March 5th at UFC 197. The fight will be held in Las Vegas, Nevada as confirmed by reliable sources last Thursday. Jeremy Botter and Lance, a Brazilian media outlet, were the first ones to announce the news.
McGregor, who has a record of 19-2, was able to win over Jose Aldo in just 13 seconds into the first round last UFC 194. During the post-fight conference, McGregor revealed what he plans to do next in his career.
The featherweight champ wanted to be a two-division champion and the first MMA fighter to have two UFC belts at the same time. And he actually got what he wanted; he’ll be fighting Rafael dos Anjos this coming March. The promotion company initially wanted their fighters to drop their current title when going for another title belt, but it looks like the promotion will allow McGregor to fight in another weight division without giving up his current belt.